Wednesday, October 31, 2012

First snow of the season!!!


Me, being the insane person that I am, agreed to watch all the younger siblings while Madre & Padre went to Guatemala for TWO WEEKS! Well, little did we all know that Hurricane Sandy (and whatever other storm) were stirring in the air getting ready to pour their wrath upon us.  The weather had been in the 60/70s all week and then on Saturday, October 27th, it drastically change and the temperature started to drop rapidly.  The night of October 28th it started to snow.  It wasn't suppose to do that much until later in the day on the 29th so I took the school kids to the bus and then went back to my house until it was time to pick them up.  At 4pm I picked up the school kids and we headed back up the mountain, or at least started to head up the mountain.  By this time the roads had gotten pretty rough.  We made it to the first big hill (about 3/4 mile before the house) and my car went straight into the ditch.  It took 15 minutes just to get it turned around and parked somewhere safe.  There was no making it up (especially since I have next to bald tires).  So, all 11 of us began the journey walking up the mountain, the rest of the way home.  I bundled Caden inside my coat so he wouldn't even realize we were outside in 30 degree weather, Caleb carried Cooper, and Carson was a trooper and walked (thankfully I had grabbed his boots and heavy coat before leaving my house).  Everyone else grabbed something they could handle and started up.  Emmie was in charge of the diaper bag, but a short ways up she pawned that off on poor Seth (who was already carrying Caleb's heavy backpack) and she ran the rest of the way home.  Needless to say she wouldn't be a very good companion during the pioneer days.  The whole way up I thought about the pioneers and their trek west during the winter.  Holding Caden I thought about how many of them lost their babies, and couldn't even imagine what they went through.  Thankfully a few minutes later I was inside a warm house and grateful to live in this day and age.
 
Over the next 24 hours we accumulated around 10-12 inches of snow.  Yes, still October and we don't just get snow, but SNOW! During this whole time Chris is stuck at our house because he can't miss his PTA classes and had several test scheduled for the week.  On Tuesday he wanted to try and make it up here so I, knowing it was a bad idea, decided to take my parents truck down the mountain to make a path and see if it was possible to get back up without getting stuck.  I make Caleb tag along with me on this journey.  We make it down just fine but get stuck when we try turning around.  I get us out of being stuck and head back up the mountain.  I get no further than I had the day before in my car (granted there was a lot more snow at this point).  I try numerous attempts but every one of them put me into the same ditch.  I finally give up knowing I was going to get the truck into a position that no one would get it out of.  Once again Caleb and I walk back up the mountain.  I didn't have a baby this time, but I had been really sick all day so it wasn't a fun walk.
 
Wednesday morning it stopped snowing and being windy so everyone wanted to bundle up and enjoy the snow.  Emmie and Caleb headed down the mountain to meet Bryan who we are hoping is our saving grace to getting us out of here.  It is also suppose to warm up and get sunny in the next day or two, so I'm sure the snow won't last.
Alisa w/ Cooper (Tony running alongside them)
Tony snowboarding :)

Alisa

Carson, Gabby, Cooper, Seth, Tony
Alisa w/ Carson

Alisa w/ Carson after they swung around
 
The crew
 We might have gotten lots of snow from these storms, but I know so many others have suffered so much more from Hurricane Sandy.  I'm grateful ours has been tolerable and a story to be told for the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment