Monday, March 23, 2009

Fire

So I have recently discovered that Chris is a pyromaniac (Pyromania, a type of mania, is an impulse to deliberately start fires to relieve tension and typically includes feelings of gratification or relief afterward.). For the last few weeks he has been starting fires to "clean" up. He has always said he has everything under control. Well yesterday, after returning from a weekend in Flat Rock, NC (Organic Gardeners Conference) he apparently felt it was time to "clean" up some more. He got the small pile he intended to burn burning, and then another small pile of leaves. He was tending to the small pile of leaves while I was playing with Carson. All of a sudden the first fire started to spread like crazy. I got Heather to get Carson, and Chris ran and got the water hose. For the next hour the fire continued to spread, quickly. Chris was using the hose to exstinguish the larger issues, and I would throw water on the opposite side of the spreading fire. It came mighty close to the power lines (we were scared they were going to melt) and even closer to our boat (there are holes from the hot fire in our boat cover). We then realized a old tree (still standing) was on fire at the top half, and there was nothing we could do about it. It would just have to burn and fall, praying it didn't do much damage. About the time we had the fire under control, except the tree, the firefighters showed. That's right, we got the whole Rugby Volunteer Fire Department at our house yesterday. They said someone saw the fire/smoke from the park (1.5 miles away) and called. The FD then put the rest of the fire out, in particularly the tree. We had more visitors stop by than I think we have had since we moved here, combined (so much for living in the middle of nowhere).

The original pile...only thing intended to be burnt.



What ended up being burnt...actually it was a bit more, but I couldn't fit it in the picture.

Our first visitors for the day.

FD putting the tree fire out...yes it was that high.

Chris still insists the fire was never "out of control". I largely disagree. I know I said you probably wouldn't ever learn anything from me on this blog, but I do have a lessons this time. If it is so windy that you have to hover over your match to get the fire started...that means it is too windy to start the fire in the first place. Yes, I realize this should be common sense, but unfornately not to all.

Positive Outcome - Chris actually wanted everything that burned to burn. We just hadn't anticipated it to happen yesterday, and in the manner that it occurred in.

Heather's Favorite Part - One of the young firefighters was wearing a wifebeater and his fire overalls while spraying the hose.

2 comments:

  1. Funniest thing I have read on a blog in a while! Remember when Dad did the same thing, he almost burnt down our rental house, and the fire trucks had to drive through a river to get to our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo funny! Those firefighters needed some practice anyway

    ReplyDelete