Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Graduations 2014

If this year hasn't proven that time doesn't stand still I don't know what will.  Carson has officially finished Kindergarten, and Cooper will be entering it.  It's hard to believe that 2 of my boys will be in school come August.

May 21st was Carson's Kindergarten graduation.  I've always wondered what the point of a "Kindergarten Graduation" was, but I have to admit that the way his school put it on, I had no issues with.  They weren't forced to wear a cap and gown, just merely a cute little t-shirt that read "1st grade here we come".  They walked through the gymnasium and Carson could have been a soldier as stiff and proper as he was.  He is, and always has been, a rule follower, so apparently he took the instructions very seriously about what they were suppose to do.



The Kindergarten and Pre-K class performed a couple of songs for us and they were downright adorable/funny.  Once again, Carson did just what he was suppose to in a very serious manner.  A one point I did catch a smile on his face and was able to capture a picture of it.




Not surprisingly, Carson receive the award for Academic Achievement - excelling in all area's.  The boy amazes Chris and I all the time at the knowledge he retains in that head of his.  He is always throwing out facts about random things that we have no idea how he learned them.

Award time
 Then came the "diploma" and "medal" time...





Carson being my first to attend school, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  He had a wonderful teacher, and I'm very grateful that she will be Cooper's next year.  She brought new knowledge to Grayson Highlands that truly helped the kids excel.  Carson never had any issues with school, and rarely made anything but 100/S on all his assignments.  He left Kindergarten being able to read which in itself is a skill he has been longing for.  He loves to be able to tell me what something says.  I couldn't be more proud of him!

Next came Cooper's Head Start graduation.  It was held on May 30th, which ended up being a very hectic day.  We went from HS graduation, to Youth Fundraiser (which I was in part in charge of), to camping in West Virginia for the weekend.

Cooper is definitely more reserved, but he really wanted to go to it so we did.  When his name was called he literally ran and grabbed his certificate and ran back, so I had no time to snap a picture of him actually receiving it.  Yes, the picture I actually got does have the certificate upside down! He too had an amazing teacher.  Ms. Melinda has worked with him since he was 2 years old and he adores her.  He has taken longer to show interest in school work, but as of the last few months has really started to enjoy it.  He now writes his name like it's nothing (which is a big step because before he refused to even try), he can recite his phone number quicker than I can, and he loves doing his "school work" on the iPad.  Cooper has always been the child that can know how to do something but refuses to do it until he is ready.  He knew how to walk months before he would actually walk.  I would catch him taking steps but he immediately sat if he even suspected you trying to watch.  He refused to talk until the point that I was going to get a speech therapist involved, and potty training was pointless because the day he decided he was ready was the day he learned and never looked back.  So, pushing Cooper is a waste of energy because he knows how to do everything he needs to, but he will decide when he is actually going to do it.  He is definitely a mama's little man and I hope he stays that way for a long time to come because I don't know what I'll do when he stops telling me every evening "I love you and we are best friends as long as your not mean to me".


Carson at Cooper's HS graduation.  Apparently now that he is a 1st grader he is "cool".
While I'm well aware that time doesn't stand still, I do hope it slows down.  I'm not sure that I'm ready to post about their High School graduations.

No comments:

Post a Comment